Guidelines for Writing and Submitting Memorials
Each team must submit two (2) memorials, one for each side of the case.
- Memorials may not have participant names or school names attached or visible on the document. Only the team number is allowed on the document. This number will be provided to you by the Program Director and may not be shared.
- Memorials consist of six parts: a title page, a table of contents, an index of authorities, a statement of facts, a legal analysis, and a request for relief. Please refer to the Rules of Procedure, beginning in Article 10.3, for information on each of these sections.
- Memorials may not be longer than 40 pages total (though we are encouraging teams this year to keep their total under 20 pages to start with). Font must be Times New Roman, 12 point, double-spaced, with 1" margins on all size and on standard 8.5"x11" letter paper. Character spacing should be set to "normal".
- Memorials are due by 11:59pm CST on the announced due date.
- Memorials are scored by a panel of three judges. There are set penalties for formatting and submission errors laid out in Article 10.15 of the Rules of Procedure. Memorial scores are included with the first oral argument round scores to seed teams for tournament play.
- A sample memorial is included below. Questions about formatting or inclusion can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also encouraging IACHR delegates to attend our annual Parliamentary Procedures Workshop, where there will be a specific session on IACHR and Memorial Writing.